Sunday, June 28, 2009

Day 5 - London Street Pianos - Uniting the City in Song

While exploring Soho Square Park, we ran across a performer who was playing a colorful piano right in the middle of the park. He was surrounded by people who were not only listening to the entertainment, but also joining in. It seems that Sing London, which is a nonprofit organization whose purpose is "to use collective singing to connect people to each other and to the spaces around them", is placing decorated second-hand pianos in squares and courtyards all over London. Marked ‘Play me, I’m Yours’, the pianos are there to encourage people to play, sing around and enjoy. All pianos will be donated to community groups when the project is finished. This lady joined in with a little ditty of her choice. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to speak with these people, but DID connect with them through the music. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sheila,
    This blog is fabulous! I've enjoyed reading it and looking at all the places that I know I'll probably not see if it weren't for you. It sounds like you're having a wonderful time. Can't wait for the next post. Thanks for sharing and stay safe,
    Kris
    PS I'm going to share this with my mom. She'll love it.

    ReplyDelete