Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Day 7 - Stonehenge and Salisbury

Today we visited the lovely little town of Salisbury, England, to see the Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge. Think valleys, meadows, and rivers. It is a quaint town of about 50,000 people, located on the River Avon. In the 1800's it was a center for music. Some of the most famous musicians have lived there, were born there, or have performed there. We visited the market where we purchased various delicious cheeses. The market has been held regularly on Tuesdays and Saturdays since 1227. We popped into a Chocolate Shop for a warm "Pot of Chocolate". Yummy! It was like eating a melted chocolate bar.




The architecture in any cathedral always amazes me, but this cathedral seemed particularly breathtaking. Established in 1220, it has the tallest spire of an English cathedral and contains the best preserved of the four surviving copies of the Magna Carta, which is the basis for constitutional rule. It appeared to be in better shape than some of my fifth graders' work!

We also visited Stonehenge, which is just a few miles away. I didn't think looking at a bunch of rocks would thrill me (sorry history buffs), but I must tell you how totally amazed I was at the site as it appeared on the horizon when we were arriving. The purpose of the formation remains a mystery, as well as how men were able to get these 25 ton rocks into position.

Play the slide show to see my favorite photos from today.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Salisbury & Stonehenge
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

1 comment:

  1. I love the smilebox. Great pictures. I am enjoying following your exploits. Say hi to Carolyn for me.
    PJS

    ReplyDelete