Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 8 - Trafalgar Square, St. Paul's Cathedral, The National Gallery, Cafe in the Crypt

I’ve already introduced you to Trafalgar Square and I’ve talked about the cathedrals, so I won’t say much about either except to say how amazed I was at the history of St. Paul’s Cathedral. This is the cathedral where Princess Di married. Colored glass made the ceilings look like they were covered in gold and jewels. It was breathtaking. This is a picture of the spiral staircase in the clock tower. It has been the scene for many movies, most notably, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. It seems we just missed Jude Law, as he was there filming a movie just two weeks ago. Bloddy 'ell! Also, like other cathedrals, many historical figures (or their ashes) are buried here, but the figure that stood out for me the most was the author and illustrator, Randolph Caldecott. Yes, the same Caldecott whose award is given annually to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.

The National Gallery was astounding! It houses a collection of Western European paintings from the 13th to the 19th centuries. I could not help but think how much my friend and art teacher, Cheri, would enjoy this. Seeing the paintings is one thing, but when you read about them and really study them, there have been some warped minds throughout the centuries (IMHO)! Check out the artist Hogarth if you get a chance and you’ll see what I mean. However, I really liked his painting "The Graham Children", which shows angelic faces on the Graham siblings. I loved paintings by Picasso, Monet and Renoir, but also enjoyed paintings from Goeneutte, with whom I was not previously familiar. See how well I can draw? See how talented I am? I wish it were true, but this is simply a brass rubbing that I made before leaving the NG. I simply rubbed a wax containing metallic shavings over an engraved brass plate. Thanks for the heads-up, Katherine!

How about eating lunch in an old crypt? Yes, we did! Sounds creepy doesn't it? Cafe in the Crypt is actually part of St. Martin-in-the-Fields Church. Now there's a British culinary experience for you! It was actually very beautiful and the food was delicious. I think this would be a great place for my friends Christine and Andrew to get married! Hey guys, you could honeymoon in London and nearby Paris!

Wait for it… Wait for it… Yes, I made a great connection today! Beth and I were standing outside St. Paul's Cathedral taking pictures when this very nice policeman (on the left) asked if he could take our picture. The British are so unpretentious. He is not only a policeman, but the Commissioner of Police himself! He has had quite a career with having been awarded a Queens Police Medal, selected as a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, and having graduated from the FBI Naitonal Executive Programme. His passion, however, is running. He can run a marathon in less than three hours. What a cutie! Hey, Beth...we know people in high places! LOL! We'll definitely follow his parting direction..."Enjoy your holiday."

No comments:

Post a Comment